Sunday 6 November 2016

Over Winter Pepper and Chilli plants

This year I grew some new chilli and peppers. To be honest they were nearly all a waste of time. The large bell pepper , California, never got going and the odd fruit was about 5cm long and none ripened. I had some mini bell peppers to try and they produced lots of small bell peppers and a lot ripened to red, outside on the patio.
My chilli , fire basket, were mixed, one plant produced an abundance of fruit to replicate the picture on the packet,however none of the chilli, whatever colour had any heat at all.

Fire Basket totally heatless

My daughter bought some stuffed chilli peppers in oil from Lidl, they were brilliant, so into research mode and I found that they were Cherry Bomb peppers. I ordered some seeds although it was June I thought I would sow four seeds just as an experiment. It was too late for them to produce fruit but I read a blog ,http://marksvegplot.blogspot.co.uk/, where Mark had overwintered some chilli plants.

So I thought I would give it a go. Last month I cut them back and removed nearly all the leaves and transferred them indoors. They seem to like it indoors and they have started to shoot, so I will move them to a cooler room in the hope it slows them down until after Christmas.
Cherry Bomb Chilli Peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment